Monday, June 2, 2014

Flora and Food are Oh-So-Wonderful

Alexis M: Toscana, Italia absolutely takes my breath away. I love the green, rolling hills, the gorgeous cypress trees, the brightly colored roses lining the streets, the mouth-watering food. The Italian way of life is the way to go.



This past week we had two Italian lessons with our spunky teacher Rossella. She taught us how to order fruit on our own, including pesche (peaches), fragole (strawberries), and mele (apples). As my friends and I strolled around town later in the week, I passed by these juicy beauties:




Every day around every corner we turn, flowers are present. As Ralph Waldo Emerson once quoted, "The earth laughs in flowers." I believe this to be so true! Flowers bring so much joy and meaning to life. They are an instant way to cheer up someone's day. I wish people in the United States treasured flowers as much as people here in Italia do.




Horticulture is not just a topic taught in schools here - it is a lifestyle. Gardens are frequently grown and essentially everything we eat at the Santa Chiara center is locally grown. This trip is already inspiring me to buy local food back home and try to use natural herbs in my meals, such as rosemary and basil. I'm definitely looking forward to learning more about Italian horticulture in the coming weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear if approved. Thank you.