Monday, June 9, 2014

That's So Hort


PML: My first week in Castiglion Fiorentino has been full of many new experiences and surprises. This quaint town has proven to be the perfect atmosphere for my study abroad experience. Upon arriving to the Santa Chiara center, I expected a cute little town just outside the city. What I didn’t expect were the rolling hills, steep and narrow cobble stone pathways, and hardly anywhere to find wifi (a blessing and a curse).
The view from Santa Chiara
On one of the first few days, we toured the town we would be staying in for the next six weeks. We visited a garden featuring olive trees, potatoes, cabbage, cherry trees and so much more. It was interesting to see the agriculture aspects of this small town. 


The first Friday we got to visit a local farmers market in Castiglion (about a five minute walk from Santa Chiara). Our Italian teacher, Rossella, taught us how to say certain fruits and vegetables, and how to order them as well. When we got to the cheese stand, she asked me to order fresh and aged cheese from the vendor. I was absolutely terrified. I had forgotten how to say everything as soon as I got to the front of the line. Luckily the vendors understood my broken Italian. 


I never realized how horticulture is intertwined in almost every aspect of our daily lives. From what we eat, to what we drink, to the trees and flowers we see every day. I’m so glad I have the opportunity to take this class; it has truly opened up my eyes to a greater understanding of horticulture. I can’t wait for what the rest of this trip will provide!

Ciao for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear if approved. Thank you.