Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Come si Dice “Awestruck”

Roma—the capital of Italy and the home to over three million people. My class and I over the past week spent four days there. The first day we toured the Colosseum, which was incredible. Ever since I was in high school and took Latin for three years, I have wanted to go visit the Colosseum and the Roman forum to actually see what I was studying. Even though the building today is only one-third of the original structure, the feeling of getting to see the view from where the citizens sat was so cool! After our first day, we saw the Roman forum and onward to the Trevi Fountain! The fountain didn’t have water in it because they are restoring it, but I still threw a coin in—I had to or else I wouldn’t come back. To say it was an incredible four days is an understatement. We toured the Vatican gardens and the Vatican museum where we then saw St. Peter's Cathedral, which was massive and so beautiful! Some of my friends and I climbed all 551 steps of the dome to get to the top and look out onto the entire Vatican City. I have realized that the views from the tops of these places are absolutely spectacular and worth every step. I guess I’m a sucker for a good view.

On our last day (Friday), my professor and a small group of us went to a botanical garden where he showed us the plant that makes the leis that adorn our necks and the tree that cork is made out of. I have never been to a place so calm and beautiful, with plants that are native to places all over the world. The view from the top of the garden was beautiful, and I could see through the huge trees to view the entire city. It was breathtaking. Luckily, seeing such beautiful places has not been something I have taken for granted.

After we walked through the botanical garden, a few of my classmates and I went to the top of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and could look out at the amazing view of the city. I counted thirteen domes and the Coliseum was so small from the top.  Rome was definitely one of my favorite places we have traveled. There is so much culture and history there. It did not disappoint!

                                                                                                    -Piper W. 





 The botanical garden was so pretty!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear if approved. Thank you.