Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Tiger Lily



KM: After researching the Tiger Lily, I have found that it could accommodate the 5 human senses.

Sight and Hearing:
Not only did the beauty of the Tiger Lily impress me, but the name captured my ears (okay, that's a bit of a stretch for hearing, but you catch my drift). The name is given because the orange petals are decorated in spots, just like a Tiger. Typically, orange isn’t my favorite color, but the colors on this flower captured my eye as we walked. Looking further into the plant, I found that it is more commonly used than I expected. It is often used for medicines to help congestion, and nausea/vomiting during pregnancy. Though it is beneficial to humans, oddly, it can harm cats. It may make them throw up, lose their appetite, have kidney failure, and in dramatic cases, cause death.

Smell:
The smell of a Tiger Lily is particular and can be picked out very easily. It is an extremely sweet scent; very fresh. This particular sense comes with a myth - it is said that if you were to smell a Tiger Lily, you will gain freckles. Since I already have freckles, I’m not sure I’d be the person to test this one out.

Taste:
Apparently, because there are parts of the lily that are edible, if you were to bake the bulbs, they would taste as a potato would! They are also commonly used in Asian dishes - two listed were: meals with eggs, and salads.

Touch:
Surprisingly, due to the look of the petal, the Tiger Lily is extremely soft. I did not expect the texture to be as smooth as it was when I approached the flower.

This particular lily is known to be extremely easy to grow. Autumn is the best season to plant the lilies as it grows best in moist soil. The flower does not produce any seeds, but can be reproduced through a process done with the bulbs of the flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear if approved. Thank you.