Thursday, June 28, 2012

Geranium


BG: This week we took our final exam for our horticulture class.  We had to look over all of the information that we had covered so far in the class and it was amazing how much I have personally learned from the class.  Traveling through Italy I have been surprising myself with how much I have been able to recognize. When studying in the courtyard of the Santa Chiara Center, I actually recognized some of the things we had talked about, the geraniums.  The first kind I noticed was the zonal geraniums.

 
As you can tell by the picture, the zonal geranium has a dark circle on the leaves and even darker parts in the flower pedals itself.  The zonal geranium is native to South Africa, but now can be found all over the world.  They are found in our courtyard in pots on the ground.  They can be in different colors including red, pink, and purple.


Another type of geranium is the ivy geranium.  It is called ivy geranium because it grows downward, similar to how ivy grows.  This type of geranium can also be found in the courtyard of the Santa Chiara center.  They are known to not be too difficult to grow and are commonly found in hanging baskets and pots, which is how they are found at the center. Like the zonal geranium the colors can range from red, pink, purple, and magenta.

It has been a great trip to Italy; I can’t believe it is almost over and I hope one day I will be able to come back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear if approved. Thank you.