Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Truffled Gnocchi....is this even real?

Among some of our amazing day trips was a wonderful trip to Orvieto! The town was very small, yet so warm and welcoming. We started the day by touring some underground caves that have been used over the years for several different reasons. Originally, they were used for a place for the families to grow and store extra food and supplies in case of an attack. Each family in the town had their own cave underneath the house at the time, but only a few are open to the public today.

After the amazing cave tours, we headed for a quiet lunch. We walked the town for about thirty minutes trying to find the perfect place when we stumbled upon this little restaurant tucked up in the corner. We sat down and immediately drank so much water because of the extreme heat outside. Little did I know, I was about to order my absolute favorite meal of the entire trip. I ordered black truffled gnocchi and it was easily the most decadent, rich meal I had the whole trip to Italy. It was a pretty big helping and it was extremely rich, but I managed to finish the entire plate. Truffles are a true delicacy so I was more than happy to eat them!

I hope I can find a similar version of that pasta once I get back to the United States. I've had gnocchi several times back home, but nothing that was as incredible as that dish! I couldn't be more ecstatic that we chose that little hole in the wall restaurant to eat at!

-Hannah Auer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear if approved. Thank you.