Monday, June 10, 2013

Driving on Italian Roads


There is something to be said about the way Italians drive. It seems to me that they all have the skills of professional stunt drivers!  They speed their Fiats, Peugeots, and other models around corners and other cars with literal inches separating them while mopeds flow past obstacles like ants on a disturbed mound.   This display of vehicular handling is both a wonder to behold as well as the cause of heart attacks.  However, handling cars are one thing while modern busses are quite another. Like a puzzle master, these drivers can fit modern busses into and through lanes made over a thousand years ago solely for pedestrians. How I have not yet witnessed destruction yet i cannot tell you.

I greatly admire the skills these people posses, but as a pedestrian I have had my fair share of frights and close calls, keeping my head on a swivel.  However, this awareness has allowed me to take in more of the sights and sounds of Italy, greatly enhancing my experience and for this I thank them.

- John Langford

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear if approved. Thank you.