Tuesday, June 7, 2016

The Beginning of Roses in The Boboli (Florence, Italy)


A vision of lush green and tall canopies of trees greeted us as we entered The Boboli Gardens on a cloudy Wednesday morning. Much to my delight, it was not raining as it had previously been forecasted and we were able to mosey around and admire all of the beautiful vegetation that constitutes the immense gardens. 

The Boboli was created by the Medici family in the 16th century and has since been restored many a time over while still possessing the regality that encompassed their reign. From the small hidden grotto with the shells encrusted into the pillars to the marquee, which housed scores of hydrangeas in an assortment of colors and varieties. As our day progressed and the multitude of floral and fauna that we encountered increased, I took this photo of a wild rose. 
Earlier in the week, we discussed how the wild rose has been propagated and eventually evolved into the modern rose that is commonly found in floral arrangements and designs today. I was amazed to learn that the small anthers that surround the stigma are what took shape and formed the multitude of petals that make up a modern rose now. 

Personally, I enjoyed the aesthetics of a wild rose more than the traditional rose because it is more unique and novel, whereas a traditional rose is seen almost everywhere. This was a common theme, at least for me, in the Boboli. A large amount of the ornamentals that grew there were foreign to me, I recognized many of their names but was unfamiliar with the different varieties. Getting the chance to see this enormous botanical wonder was a once in a lifetime experience and I am so glad that this was how I spent my Wednesday. -BP

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear if approved. Thank you.