Tuesday, June 7, 2016

All My Post Are About Coffee (1)

My parents love coffee & drink Kona Coffee’s Peaberry religiously. Little did I know that Peaberry is actually a type of coffee bean anomaly. In one of our lectures over “The Drinks,” we learned that Peaberry coffee beans occur when there is only one bean present in the fruit, instead of two. This happens because only one seed in fertilized & only that bean is developed, making it an oval shape instead of flattened like regular beans. This only happens to about 5% of berries so most times the Peaberry is just accidentally tossed in with the normal beans but occasionally they are hand picked out & sold as premium coffees. Peaberry beans are present in any origin of coffee so they don’t have incredibly specific traits, however, according to coffee.wikia.com, they usually have lighter bodies and brighter notes. Personally, I am not the biggest fan of Peaberry Coffee, but I understand the fascination behind it & my parents are certainly fans.


When I looked into the Peaberry online, another type of natural mutation was noted, called Maragogipe or elephant beans. This anomaly occurred for the first time in Brazil when a coffee plant spontaneously mutated to produce a much larger, porous bean. I’ve never personally tried Maragogipe, but according to aficionados it is highly appreciated & it’s flavor depends greatly on the soil it is grown in: the higher the nutrients, the more prominent the flavor. Apparently it tastes very earthy, which I am a big fan of. Maragogipe can be bought online, so that will be one of the first things I do when I get home!

JJH

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear if approved. Thank you.